The Art of Racing in the Rain Important Quotes
1. “’Drivers are afraid of the rain…Rain amplifies your mistakes, and water on the track can make your car handle unpredictably. When something unpredictable happens you have to react to it; if you’re racing at speed, you’re reacting too late. And so you should be afraid’” (p. 41).
2. “I had always wanted to love Eve as Denny loved her, but I never had because I was afraid. She was my rain. She was my unpredictable element. She was my fear. But a racer should not be afraid of rain; a racer should embrace the rain” (p. 44).
3. “In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go. The driver who cannot tear his eyes away from the wall as he spins out of control will meet that wall…Simply another way of saying that which you manifest is before you” (p. 83).
4. “You need to watch the drivers around you, understand their skill, confidence, and aggression levels, and drive with them accordingly. Know who is driving next to you. Any problems that may occur have ultimately been caused by you, because you are responsible for where you are and what you are doing there” (p. 91).
5. “…a white figure with dead eyes, a mannequin in slippers. Maxwell and Denny lifted the figure and place it in the bed and the nurse tucked it in and Zoe said, ‘Hi, Mommy,’ and all this happened before it even entered my consciousness that this strange figure was not a dummy, not a mock-up used for practice, but Eve” (p. 117).
6. “I will often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen” (p. 136).
7. “I saw her soul leave her body as she exhaled, and then she had no more needs, no more reason; she was released from her body, and, being released, she continued her journey elsewhere, high in the firmament where soul material gathers and plays out all the dreams and joys of which we temporal beings can barely conceive, all the things that are beyond our comprehension, but even so, are not beyond our attainment if we choose…