And the Mountains Echoed Important Quotes
1. “A finger had to be cut to save the hand” (5).
2. “When you have lived as long as I have, the div replied, you find that cruelty and benevolence are but shades of the same colour” (12).
3. “A story is like a moving train: no matter where you hop on board, you are bound to reach your destination sooner or later” (74).
4. “They say, Find a purpose in your life and live it. But, sometimes, it is only after you have lived that you recognize your life had a purpose, and likely one you never had in mind” (127).
5. “Julien asked what she saw in mathematics and she said she found it comforting…There was comfort to be found in the permanence of mathematical truths, in the lack of arbitrariness and the absence of ambiguity. In knowing that the answers may be elusive, but they could be found” (204).
6. “What Pari had always wanted from her mother was the glue to bond together her loose, disjointed scraps of memory, to turn them into some sort of cohesive narrative” (218).
7. “Pari no longer feels the piercing urge to search for answers and roots. Because of Eric and his steadying, comforting companionship. And because of Isabelle, who has solidified the ground beneath Pari’s feet” (224).
8. “If I’ve learned anything in Kabul, it is that human behaviour is messy and unpredictable and unconcerned with convenient symmetries. But I find comfort in it, in the idea of a pattern, of a narrative of my life taking shape, like a photograph in a darkroom, a story that slowly emerges and affirms the good I have always wanted to see in myself. It sustains me, this story” (330).
9. “I couldn’t wholly understand, linked beyond our names, beyond familial ties, as if, together, we completed a puzzle. I felt certain that if I listened closely enough to her story, I would discover something revealed about myself” (348).
10. “But it is important to know this, to know your roots. To know where you started as a person. If not, your own life seems unreal to you. Like a puzzle…Like you have missed…